Sunday, March 23, 2014

Dwalin goes to Megacon 2014

#Megacon2014 #Dwalin #TheHobbit #Cosplay

So we finally woke up on the second day of Megacon 2014 and started the preparations for my outfit. We decided to make the hair over the ears to the sideburns, beard and mustache from scratch rather than go with the pieces that my wife had made earlier with crepe wool and homemade latex. This worked out to our benefit, aesthetically, but we also added 2 hours to the prep time.



As you can see in the first picture, we started the head tattoo as well. That gave us some issues since the suggested parchment paper templates that my wife drew out in advance didn't transfer the gel pen very good at all. Like a trooper, she didn't give up. Instead, she drew them free-hand on regular paper, applied them to my head and off we went. Truly an amazing woman under pressure.


Last touch. A quick tattoo on the hands referenced from what pictures I could find of Dwalin's hands. Next year, I will craft the knuckle dusters



Dwalin at Megacon 2014.


An awesome Thranduil for a photo op. He was one of the few around me that was tall enough to notice the head ink.


These were some real fun gals that were excited to find a Dwalin. Our meeting must have been written in the stars.


And then Thranduil came back to join us although he was a bit suspicious of Thorin, at first. It is especially fun when cosplayers act in character. Most people got my name right the first time, however I did get asked if I was Gloin once. Obviously, my reply was, "Dwalin. At your service." (Followed with a short bow from the waist and of course, with a dwarvish accent.) Good times!

All in all, getting ready for this convention was a blast. I was only in costume for roughly 2 to 3 hours but there were a lot of pictures taken and quite a few compliments. I want to give credit where credit is due, though. My wife made all of Dwalin's clothes from scratch. We bought a piece of faux fur for my shoulders. She rigged the harness and I only helped with a few strategic connections. I made the belt buckle, chest piece, small harness buckles and axes. So, I could not have done it without her help. Thank you Becky! And without further ado, my wife and daughter from this year's Megacon: Dr. Abigail Redcroft and zombie Alice in Wonderland!



We have already started planning for next year. I will be doing Dwalin again but we will be making some refinements. My wife is considering going as Balin so I would have a brother at the con! There are better picture-taking opportunities when others of the same genre or even franchise are present.

If you haven't been to a convention like this one or one of the other many types of cons out there, I would strongly suggest attending. You will be overwhelmed, amused and maybe even awed at times but you will most assuredly enjoy yourself. Who knows? You might even decide to dress up one year. But beware. It is wicked addictive. And I mean wicked....addictive. Have fun!

3 comments:

  1. We had a great time and thank you for your props sweety

    ReplyDelete
  2. Props; that was some serious kissing up. I think someone is already trying to reserve your services for next year. Great pics and great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anytime Rebecca! And thanks Calvin...we will be a team next year as well.

    ReplyDelete